Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Blogging, Blogs, and Bloggers


Reading blogs has been an odd way to spend my time blogging, but it has been very important.  I’ve tried to learn from what others have done, and been inspired by people’s blogs in the process.  I am honestly stunned at what I’ve found, and I’m amazed at how far the culture of blogging has come.

It almost seems to be the way you’d think about it, but I think the term, “Only Bloggers read Blogs” is kind of the truth to an extent.  There are definitely those out there that find a particular blog and stick to it, even though they don’t blog themselves.  I mean, I have some family and friends that stop by every now and then to read something, but for the most part, I get more feedback and sociality from fellow bloggers.

In the end, I don’t think this is an overall bad thing.  Many bloggers are the same as me, just out there, enjoying reading blogs while looking for a way to promote their own.  Seems there are too many avenues to try to promote your blog, but the best, tried and true, is still socializing with other bloggers, and reading other blogs, and commenting.

I kind of had this idea going into blogging, that what I just described would be the norm, and for the most part it has been.  But what’s really got me sucked in, is the amount of talent out there.  Sure, blogging is relatively easy, you just sit down and write some essays.  No big deal, but some people have a way of writing that sucks you into a discussion, or makes a very valid point in a way you’ve never thought of it being said.

Luckily, the talent that is really good, far outweighs the absolute crap that’s out there.  I’ve read many poems that just don’t have flow and are just completely unable to be read.  I’ve read some articles that have made me just click off the site and make a mental note in my head to never go back.

What blogs do best, is give you information from a more human, more ‘real’ standpoint.  Travel blogs are the BEST way to find out about travel in a certain place.  They tend not to glamorize a place, and will freely trash it if they believe they should.  I’ve been completely amazed at how much more informative travel blogs are than any other source of information.  Its almost like reading a letter from a friend who is visiting a place, as opposed to a paid advertisement like the Travel Channel seems to feel like.

I never thought I’d enjoy reading blogs as much as I have.  I’ve truly expanded my horizons in this venture, and I truly feel as if I’m better for having started this blog.  At first was a worried that since I didn’t truly have ‘niche’ that it would be a struggle, but I’ve found that my blogging style has been a very liberating experience.  We’ll see if I ever settle into a niche, because as of right now, I’m enjoying the heck out of writing about things I enjoy writing about, getting things off my chest, and promoting dialog and discussion among my blogging peers.  These peers being the absolute nicest and most wonderful community I’ve ever found on the entire Internet.

Hard to believe I’m proud to be a blogger, but I definitely feel blessed to be able to write what I want, when I want, and have people come along, read it, and enjoy it.

--Dan

Bloggers.com

A Brainless Nod - Find me on Bloggers.com

BlogCatalog

Blog Nation

Writing Blogs

World Bloggers Community

BumpIn

powered by
Bumpin

ReadABlog

Blog Search Engine

RSS and Link Directory

Blogdash

prchecker.info

Alexa

Select

Infolinks

RSStop10

RSS Feed Directory - Search and read RSS Feeds without any RSS reader.

Plazoo

RSS Search

Blogroll

Submit Blog & RSS Feeds

Blogdigger

Facebook Fanpage