Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Spices are the Flavor of Life


I honestly can’t imagine a world with spices.  Known now, in the internet cute cat world, as ‘flavors’ food is pretty crappy without them.  Its amazing how for granted we take spices now, considering entire empires rose and fell because of the spice trade.

Spices go way back in human history, and have become such an integral part of every day life.  They are even mentioned a few times in the Bible, of all books.  Oddly though, I think of all the fantasy stories I’ve read, and they don’t really get too much into spices....  A shame.  Fantasy and Sci/Fi have really drawn a new connotation for the word ‘spice.’  In Star Wars and Dune ‘spice is a form of drug.




The thing is though, it appears that the use of spice, the ability to get the right flavors out, is the mark of a good cook or chef.  Lisa and I enjoy watching Gordon Ramsay on TV, Hell’s Kitchen and MasterChef are truly interesting shows.  Lisa even swears up and down that I should go on MasterChef, though I’m a bit timid about it, as I still feel I’m learning so much in the kitchen every day.

In the end, I know what I like, and I know what I don’t like.  I watch those TV shows and I have no idea how to make some of the stuff they make.  But I can fathom what it all tastes like.  The biggest problem I have, though, is that I’m picky.  Way too picky.  I HATE onions with a passion.  I love spaghetti, and lots of people make it with onions.  After I eat it, and give my compliment, I almost always paraphrase stuff with, “but it would have been better without onions.”  A statement I’ve said to my mother-in-law numerous times, as her Mexican Casserole is to die for, but the onions flat out kill it.

Learning where flavors are is where its most at.  When learning how to make Japanese Hibachi Fried Rice I learned very quickly that you HAD to have shaved carrots in it.  I still don’t fully understand why, but if they are not there, you can tell instantly that something is missing.


That’s how I normally spice everything though.  When I cook my spaghetti sauce it takes a very long time to cook.  Not only am I making the sauce thicker, but I’m spicing it as I go, tasting it to compensate for what is missing.  One day I MIGHT right down the levels of spices I use, but normally I just play it by ear.

The whole MasterChef idea is an interesting one though, and I’d love to go, but I have no clue what I’d cook.  I’m used to taking hours preparing a huge meal that has left overs for days.  Could I make a dish that just a dish?  I only just learned how to scramble an egg, which was fun learning how to put spices in it to make it taste great.

It’s a question that maybe one day I’ll answer.  Right now I’ll stick to learning how to make Beef and Cheese stuffed Tortellini with the right spices before I go crazy and tryout for a TV show.  I know I’ve gotten a decent handle on spices enough to do it, but stilll....

And just so you know, my favorite spice is Basil.  I still don’t know why, but I love what it does to just about every food I cook.  I even tried growing my own, but failed miserably.  What is your favorite spice?  Or do you have one?  Are you the type of cook that uses quite a few spices?  I’m always interested in what you have to say, its why I read blogs as well. *grin* Either way, enjoy the flavors of your next meal, and think about the spices that are in it, putting flavors into your mouth, maybe even the history of them....

Bloggers.com

A Brainless Nod - Find me on Bloggers.com

BlogCatalog

Blog Nation

Writing Blogs

World Bloggers Community

BumpIn

powered by
Bumpin

ReadABlog

Blog Search Engine

RSS and Link Directory

Blogdash

prchecker.info

Alexa

Select

Infolinks

RSStop10

RSS Feed Directory - Search and read RSS Feeds without any RSS reader.

Plazoo

RSS Search

Blogroll

Submit Blog & RSS Feeds

Blogdigger

Facebook Fanpage