Monday, September 22, 2014

A Crossed Line of Racism

It’s truly hard to make it through the day without offending someone in today’s society.  I mean…seriously, just look at how the internet is these days.  People just launch into other people, trolling every aspect of online life.  A few months ago, I posted a sarcastic comment on a Facebook discussion, hoping to get a chuckle.  The owner of the thread exploded, hardcore, with a rant a couple of paragraphs long about childishness and civility.

They are one to talk, though….  Over the past year or so, I’ve started noticing a frightening trend, and I hate to say it made me realize something about myself.  Let’s start there, actually, on the inside.


Racism is a thing, it happens daily, and it comes from every angle.  It is unfortunate garbage that just about everyone has to deal with, and yes, I’m including “Reverse Racism” which is one of the most racist statements I could possibly imagine.  But my point is, Racism infuriates me, to no end.  The stupidity behind it, is jaw dropping, and ‘all sides’ are starting to become more and more guilty.

I have a close friend who happens to have dark skin.  He’s one of the best friends I’ve ever had, so I feel slighted when I hear the “N” word because it insults my friend.  I know some old folks that use it, because that’s how they were raised, but every time they use it, I feel anger.  To me, this feels perfectly natural, because he’s my friend, I’m taking up for him.

But something in the News recently made me step back and ponder something.  I’m sure everyone reading this heard about the Paula Deen inscident in some way, shape, or form.  I took an interest in it because of one solitary thing.  The person that brought the lawsuit against her…was white.

Paula Deen is an ‘old folk’ like many I know that use the n-word because they can’t get it out of their system.  It’s despicable and I hate them for it.  But, that being said, there is a line here.  She reference blacks using the n-word, and a white person brought the lawsuit.  It was eventually thrown out because the person that brought the suit wasn’t the one being slandered.

So, someone sued someone else because that someone else slandered a third party.  The whole thing is an interesting affair.  The courage of this white person to stand up to another white because of racism to blacks is admirable in my eyes.  Mainly because I would do the same if someone flat out used the n-word against my friends.  But this opens up an odd box of worms, doesn’t it?

As I was thinking about this odd conundrum, something else happened.  Avril Lavigne, came out of with a video to her song, “Hello Kitty.”  I have to admit here, I have long since lost any respect for the art she comes out with, as I do not appreciate her music in the slightest.  Having said that, I can honestly say, I in no way enjoy this song in particular.  But that isn’t the point here.
When the video hit YouTube, it was almost instantly removed.  For the first month the video was out, at least, it was almost impossible to find.  Why?  Let’s get into that….

According to some accounts I read, Avril made the video utilizing a Japanese director with Japanese actors, to pay homage to Japanese culture, which if you don’t know Hello Kitty if from Japan, then what rock have you been hiding under.  Apparently she has a decent following there, which is understandable, as this inspiration aspect of culture has been around for some time.  Have said that, what’s my point?

The video was impossible to find, because people in the ‘Murica culture believed that the video was “making fun” of Japanese culture, or, more simply put, being racist.  To this day, you can look up the video on YouTube and see people arguing in the comments about it being offensive to the Japanese.

Avril was effectively censored for a short time due to this backlash of people putting voice to their feelings.

When looking at all three of these points together, I’m starting to worry where we are headed without racism.  People are now quick to point out that something is racist, when the person being…racistized isn’t around.  I will continue to stick up for my friends, and through him the black community.  I will tell someone when they say the n-word that I do not want to hear it around me.  But is there a line?

People crossed a line with Avril Lavigne and her video, because they were trying to say that she was representing all of ‘Murica when she was being racist towards the Japanese, even though she really wasn’t.  They were protecting themselves, not the Japanese, in this case.


So, should I be more sad that people thing Avril Lavigne speaks for the culture in the US, or that I differentiate myself from the offensive a-holes who truly are racist.  Either way, it’s a sticky subject, with crazy precedents set on all sides of it.  I just wish people could get over their ignorance and move on, but…yeah….  Ain’t gonna happen here in ‘Murica!

Bloggers.com

A Brainless Nod - Find me on Bloggers.com

BlogCatalog

Blog Nation

Writing Blogs

World Bloggers Community

BumpIn

powered by
Bumpin

ReadABlog

Blog Search Engine

RSS and Link Directory

Blogdash

prchecker.info

Alexa

Select

Infolinks

RSStop10

RSS Feed Directory - Search and read RSS Feeds without any RSS reader.

Plazoo

RSS Search

Blogroll

Submit Blog & RSS Feeds

Blogdigger

Facebook Fanpage